July 04, 2016

Home Stretch

"We are all subject to sorrow and suffering, to disease and death. Through times good and bad, the Lord expects each of us to endure to the end. As we all go forward together in His sacred work, the Brethren realize the importance of your thoughtful consideration, so lovingly offered and gratefully received. We love you and pray for you, as you pray for us.” --Russell M. Nelson, “Jesus Christ--the Master Healer,”Ensign, Nov. 2005, 85

Highlights from 4/7/16:

#1: Interviews with Pres Smith. This week was had our 3 month interviews with Pres Smith. Mine went well. We talked about life as a missionary finishing up soon. He shared some experiences from his missionary service, his last days. We talked about giving these last days all I've got! And that is what I planned on doing...and now more an ever I AM GOING TO WORK EVEN HARDER!

#2: 4th of July in Guate. So with today being the 4th of July I couldn't let my country celebrate without celebrating too! We had some bomb hot dogs, like REAL hot dogs. Any missionary who has served in central america knows why I am soo darn happy for REAL hot dogs. And my I say they were DEEEEEEELICOUS!
Celebrating my country's birthday! Happy July 4th!


#3: News from Home. This morning I was called into an interview with my mission president. He informed me that my Aunt Debbie and Uncle James along with my cousins, were in a vehicle accident, that my uncle was still in the hospital, that my aunt and one cousin has been released from the hospital...but that my cousin Julie had not made it. I was able to call my family and speak with them briefly and feel of their love and support, but more importantly, give of my love and my support. We are doing well, but could use the prayers of all who are willing. I found this picture from the last family trip, and last time I was with Julie, and wanted to share.

I know that God created the plan of happiness for moments like these, to give us help, strength, and lift us up. I know that God loves us. I know that He cares about us. I know He LIVES! I am confident that one day I will see Julie again, I know that one day death will not be a possibility. That day will come, soon, and when that day comes will be a day of rejoicing as we are reunited with loved ones. I love you all and send my love and support until I may be with you all. I love each and every one of you! Keep on smiling! Keep trying! Keep your head up! :)

With love and prayers at this special and difficult time,
Elder Flake

PS The intro quote I found VERY applicable..."We love you and pray for you, as you pray for us." What comfort, what strength, what words of peace and affirmation that ALL WILL BE WELL! I just found great comfort in that quote.

PPS Originally I was to be home THIS Thurs...but I'll be there soon :)

PPPS I heard this song and thought to share it with you guys...because he lives, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWj2vKD4LGM

“When the pathway of life takes a cruel turn, there is the temptation to think or speak the phrase, ‘Why me?’ Self-incrimination is a common practice, even when we may have had no control over our difficulty. …

“However, at times there appears to be no light at the tunnel’s end—no dawn to break the night’s darkness. We feel surrounded by the pain of broken hearts, the disappointment of shattered dreams, and the despair of vanished hopes. We join in uttering the biblical plea, ‘Is there no balm in Gilead?’ We are inclined to view our own personal misfortunes through the distorted prism of pessimism. We feel abandoned, heartbroken, alone.

“To all who so despair, may I offer the assurance of the Psalmist’s words: ‘Weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning’ (Psalm 30:5).

“Whenever we are inclined to feel burdened down with the blows of life’s fight, let us remember that others have passed the same way, have endured, and then have overcome.”

—Thomas S. Monson, “Meeting Life’s Challenges,” Ensign,Nov. 1993, 68

I found this specifically uplifting and encouraging from our dear prophet. Love you guys! Hope this quote can help Debbie and Blaine as well :)
An awesome Guatemalan meal!

District Activity! :)

Cornbread...I guess I can still cook! haha :)

No comments:

Post a Comment