February 08, 2016

The Best Just Got Better

"So often we become so focused on the finish line that we fail to enjoy the journey." --Pres Dieter F. Uchtdorf

Highlights for 8/2/16:

Highlight #1: Volcanic Explosion. Yesterday we were chillin' with our investigators in Sacrament Meeting. When at the beginning of the opening prayer there was a loud, BOOOM! I thought that it was one of the doors to the Sacrament room slamming shut because of the wind. But then the ash started falling. Nothing crazy, think more like you are meters away from a firepit with fire in it and there are the little paper pieces that are falling. No mask needed, didn't obstruct vision, etc. But then after the meeting all the members were talking about the explosion from a close volcano named Santiaguito that has been spewing ash daily for a couple months now. So that was a fun and NEW experience :) Just hope it stays at that ;) haha, now I've got you guys worrying...I mean, oh no, now I have you guys worrying. Don't worry, we are on the Lord's errand, He'll protect us :)

Highlight #2: Temple. This week we were able to attend a session in the temple. Yes, I know the temple is in my area, be we still need permission to go. So this week we went as a zone and man was it fantastic! Doctrine and Covenants 109:22 has become a reality. We truly left from the Lord's House empowered to work more diligently in His work, in His service. Which brings the following highlight :)



My Zone at the temple
Highlight #3: New Friend. We are working with one of the coolest guys I've met in my mission. He is from El Salvador but lives here in Xela with his family. We met him about 3 weeks ago and after our first lesson with him he came the following Sunday to church. Then this week his son wanted to go and walk the temple grounds. So on Saturday we went with him and his son to talk about the temple and walk the gardens :) It was awesome. Afterwards we had an elders quorum activity, so we invited him to go with us and he accepted. At the activity many members came up to me to express their surprise about how comfortable and friendly and at ease he was at the activity, "are you sure he isn't a member? Because he sure seems like one." So that was fun for us. But then on Sun he came to church with his son and they both loved it! :) So we've got our work cut out for us now to get the rest of his family there with him :) :) Love being on the Lord's errand :)

Highlight #4: Lord's Blessings. We were invited to eat dinner with a member and his friend from out of town. His friend was a little less-active, so of course we went to see how we could help :) After dinner and discussing with them, we found out they were here in Xela for some doctors visits. But there wasn't any more info, why, what he has, etc. After dinner we were asked to give the friend a priesthood blessing which we happily accepted. After I ended the blessing we all opened our eyes and the man's wife was in tears. He asked her why. To which she replied, "I know that we have the sacred priesthood of God because there is NO WAY Elder Flake could have known to include the things he included in the blessing, the exact things we have been praying for, unless he was guided by the spirit." WOW! I was just saying what was in my mind, and yes, there were a couple things that I thought "really, include THAT? okay." This experience strengthened MY testimony that as I live worthy and am where I'm supposed to be, doing what I'm supposed to be doing, and "speak the thoughts that (the Lord) shall put into (my heart)" that "it shall be given (me) in the very hour, yea, in the very moment, what (I) shall say." (D&C 100:5-6). Loved this experience!

"Is the authority of God on the earth today? Do ordinances performed on earth apply in heaven? From the banks of the Susquehanna River in Pennsylvania, Elder David A. Bednar of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles bears testimony of the restoration of priesthood authority and keys, affirming that the priesthood is the power of God and that through this power we are able to receive the blessings of Christ’s gospel. Elder Bednar testifies that God lives and that “Jesus is the Christ, our living Redeemer and Savior.” (check out a video here of this witness)

With Love and Prayers,
Elder Flake
Congrats to my comp! He's completed one year of his mission.
We celebrated over the breakfast I made for him. :)
Yes CAUTION: MEN at WORK!

No comments:

Post a Comment