February 29, 2016

Happy Leap Day!

"El que sirve, sirve. El que no sirve, no sirve." --Guatemalan Proverb

Highlights for 29/2/16:

Highlight #1: Family. This week we found an awesome family. Can't say much as we've only met a couple times. But to explain how we found them: We were walking down the street and started to talk to a couple that works in the temple that we past in the street. Pretty soon we saw someone running towards us...when he got to us all he said was "Elders, I have some friends that would like to talk to you." Turns out he is a recent convert from the coast that is leaving for his mission in 10 days and was visiting some friends for the "last" time before his mission. We obviously said sure, then he asked if we could come by a couple hours later. So we rearranged our schedule to go. WHAT A FAMILY! There are about 14 members to the family...I know, that is A LOT of of people in one room. But it went well, they are reading the Book of Mormon and are going to come to church on Sunday. Lookin' up here! :) (but with changes in a week...who knows if I'll get to be involved...)

Highlight #2: FOOD. Moronga. DON'T LOOK IT UP, I can explain when I get home. 'Nuff said. It was from the best place to buy it in Guate. If I hadn't known what it was I would have thought that it was some new Guatemalan way of preparing meat because it tasted just like beef. But hey, now I've got a story. And best of all, I DIDN'T GET SICK :) So all's well that ends well :)

Highlight #3: Service. This is why I included the Guatemalan proverb above. This week we had the opportunity to do some service for a recently progressing investigator. Turns out when we showed up that the "service" he had planned was to repair the road to his house. HAHA. I can imagine your faces right now. But hey, wasn't too bad. All that it took was recementing a couple adoquines (small cement blocks that make ALL the streets here). So it wasn't too bad. But the part that really impressed me is the effect our service can have, and does have. All the neighbors came out and our investigator started telling all of them how awesome we are...I guess that's okay ;) HAHA. Now to just get back there and visit some of the neighbors! :)

The Prophet Joseph Smith declared: “The fundamental principles of our religion are the testimony of the Apostles and Prophets, concerning Jesus Christ, that He died, was buried, and rose again the third day, and ascended into heaven; and all other things which pertain to our religion are only appendages to it.” --Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith (2007), 49

Not much that I can add...Christ is the center of EVERYTHING. If we remember that and apply that knowledge to our lives we will experience more happiness now and achieve our eternal potential.

With love and prayers,
Elder Flake

PS I know you guys looked up moronga...now you know why I said not to. HAHAHA :) But like I said it wasn't that bad! :)

PPS HAPPY LEAP DAY!!!! Not just anybody gets to live an extra day in their mission ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment