June 20, 2016

Power of Prayer

"Prayer is your personal key to heaven. The lock is on your side of the veil." --Boyd K. Packer

Highlights for 20/6/16:

Highlight #1: Dia de Padre. So this last week was a special day for dads, or that was what I was told ;) So a HAPPY FATHER'S DAY to all them dads out there! For Father's Day the Primary put on an activity to celebrate all the dads. The primary made up a skit about all that dads do for us in our lives. ie Family Home Evening, Scripture Study, Getting Home from Work, etc. Then after the skit they had all the dads in the audience go up in front and play musical chairs. It was a fun activity, and we had some visitors there :)

Father's Day Activity at the church

Highlight #2: Family. We have continued to work with some fantastic families and see some progress this week! We have been able to show up at "crucial" times to visit some of these families, unplanned. That is one thing I learned this week. That if we will slow down a second (not work less, just work smart) and focus on what the spirit is telling us we WILL have success. It has happened more than once this week and I made sure to take note of it. If we will each take the time to focus on what is eternally important and strengthen our relationship with the spirit, our Savior, and our Heavenly Father we will not regret it. They will protect us, guide us, and help us progress. I know that my Heavenly Father loves all his children, and he knows who needs a visit RIGHT NOW and who can wait for a little bit. Then he sends his instructions, it's not a piece of paper, or a text, or an ancient greek messenger-runner. He speaks to us through the promptings of the spirit, in our minds and in our hearts. So if our minds and hearts are focused on the things of this world, or things that really aren't important, we won't recognize the guidance. But if we will give the space for the spirit to instruct us we will work miracles!

Highlight #3: Prayer. This week I learned to pray. I know that probably each of your eyebrows just raised...to explain: I know that to pray we 1) start by addressing our Heavenly Father, 2) Give thanks, 3) Ask for the things we need, and 4) always end in the name of Jesus Christ, amen. So in that sense I've always known how to pray. But this week I learned how to make my prayers a more uplifting experience and a way to fortify my relationship with my Heavenly Father. It has been an intersting learning experience; sacred, so I won't talk about it much, but I know that prayer is powerful. If we will pray, the Lord will bless us. It is through prayer that our testimonies will be strengthened, our hope will be increased, and more happiness will enter our lives. Prayer is powerful!

"Through honest and heartfelt prayer, we receive love, power, and strength from our Heavenly Father." --Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Spencer W. Kimball, (2006), 46–58

I love you guys! Keep up the positivity....oh, HEY! Dont forget to get my room and bed made ;) jaja, JK!

With love and prayers,
Elder Flake

No comments:

Post a Comment