October 05, 2015

Modern Scripture, Modern Prophets

Bryson's Guate b-day cake! Mmmm!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRYSON!!!!!! Just so you know, I made you cake! Yep, a CAKE! And ate it in your honor! :) (FYI: In Guatemala, Oct 1st is a National Holiday! It is the Day of the Child (Dia de Niño)!) So not only did I celebrate your birthday, but ALL OF GUATEMALA did too!!

Highlights for 5/10/15:

Highlight #1: Egg Fried Cauliflower. This week we made dinner with a member and her family here. About a month ago, my comp and I had eaten dinner with her and she had prepared Egg Fried Cauliflower for us, and we wanted to learn how to do it. (for the record, and in total humility, I knew how to do it and explained the process to my companion....but he didn't believe me...) So we asked this sister if she could teach us how to make it. So we placed an appointment with her for the day she was going to give us dinner, to go and learn this simple, SIMPLE, entree. I have included pictures of us preparing it. It was super good, and EASY! :)
Making Egg-Fried Cauliflower...yum!


Highlight #2: Food. This week we had the wonderful experience of eating with some members. They prepared the most typical guatemalan food that I can think of and something that I have had many a time. (honestly, I can even prepare it!) Do you want to know what this week's food highlight was? Huegos con Frijoles y Morcaf. Yep, Eggs and Beans with Morcaf. And I love it, even if we eat it for Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner. Nothing extraño to report this week. But what did you think I was going to put here? ;) Pansa? Higalo? ;) HAHA!

Highlight #3: that is REALLY #1!!! Conferencia General. (You can check out what I'm about to talk about here) For those who are reading this who are not members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints or were members a while back, General Conference is a biannual global two-day broadcast of talks and instruction from the Prophet, members of the Quorum of the Twelve, and other General Authorities and Auxiliaries of the church. This past weekend, what an edifying experience we were given. I can testify that each of the individuals who spoke were guided by the spirit in preparing their individual talks. (They are not assigned their topics when they are assigned to speak) I know that I was surely edified by the spirit and received not only the words and instructions of the speakers but also of the Spirit. And honestly, the instructions from the spirit are a LOT more important. I would invite all who did not have the opportunity to watch all or some of this general conference to go to the above site and watch and learn at the feet of our modern apostles and prophets...to honestly receive a form of modern day scripture. If you were able to see some of conference, I invite you to go to the above site and watch the rest...every talk offers unique instruction for you! Now, if you were able to watch every one of the sessions I invite you to go to the above site and pick one or two talks to review and study in depth...this will bring the spirit stronger in yours and your families lives, and allow you to come closer to your Heavenly Father. Do it! It's easy! May I suggest: Remember the story of the brass serpent in the wilderness that Moses raised up to save the Israelites that would "look and live"? Remember how some did not "look and live" because of the simplicity of the act? This, tal vez, is one of those brass serpents, but for modern times...the instruction, direction, guidance, and love of God is there. But is it too easy that we will not "look, [listen], and live"?

Comment 2 about general conference: as you all know (or may not know), since the past conference, 3 of the apostles passed on to the other side of the veil. This meant that this past conference 3 new apostles and special witnesses of the Lord Jesus Christ were called and sustained by the church membership as a whole. I know that the three men who were called to fill the 3 vacancies in the Quorum of the Twelve were and are called of God. He has been preparing them since before they were born for this call and responsibility. I sustain each of the members of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles as prophets, seers, and revelators along with the members of the First Presidency. My love and prayers have gone in behalf of the newly called apostles and their families, that they may feel my sustaining of them (in what meager way I can). Just as Christ's church contained, when He organized it in the meridian of time, apostles and prophets who followed the guidance of Christ (Ephesians 2:20), we today (yes, today) have modern apostles and prophets who have been and are called by Christ to be His chosen representatives on the earth today (Amos 3:7), for you and for me.

I know that this is the church of Jesus Christ upon the earth. I know that in the pre-existance we, each and every one, chose the plan of God (if you don't believe me, talk to your nearest Mormon friend or the missionaries, they can help explain and show how and why YOU DID choose God's plan and why you don't remember doing so :)). I know that this is the work of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I know that He called me personally to serve Him and to serve here specifically. I know that only by and through Him may we all return to live with Him and our Heavenly Father. I am soo greatful for the love, hope, and vision the Lord has given me and that I get to witness it enter the lives of those I teach. If you are now pondering if or when you should serve a mission, turn to the Lord. He knows who He needs when and where. He will guide your life specifically, but first we must ask and be living in such a way to invite that guidance. I love you all and pray for you each individually every night. I pray you feel and see the Lord´s hand in your lives every day, feel His protection and guidance, and feel the peace and joy of being a member of this marvelous church at this time in the world´s history (or begin learning about the peace and joy being a member of Christ's restored church will bring to your life).

With Love and Prayers,
Elder Flake
I am keeping up our "let's get ice cream for Priesthood Session" tradition!!

My General Conference squad :)

No comments:

Post a Comment