November 09, 2015

Life in "America"

"And now...I speak unto you: Thou art my first-born in the days of my tribulation in the wilderness. And behold, in thy childhood thou hast suffered afflictions and much sorrow, because of the rudeness of thy brethren.
Nevertheless...my first-born in the wilderness, thou knowest the greatness of God; and he shall consecrate thine afflictions for thy gain." --2 Nephi 2:1-2

Highlights for 9/11/15:

Highlight #1: Food. Do you all remember (one of) my favorite foods...chilicayote? Well, I guess that is the NAHUALANIAN way of making that dish....so what did I have THIS WEEK? YEP, I tried ayote, the XELA version of this dish! And man is it super good!!! :) AND, it is SUPER easy to make!!! :) A shout out to Grandpa Morgan, it is a vegetable dish with LOTS of sugar (ie regular white sugar AND brown sugar AND honey). So it's vegetables right, so you can eat it as a normal meal!! LOVE YA GRANDPA! :) HAHA

Highlight #2: Xela. Well, may I just say that I have gone from the mountains of Guatemala to the most American experience I will probably be able to find here in the mission. HONESTLY! EVERYONE HERE speaks Ingles, like literally EVERYBODY. Makes for some boring lessons for my companion because they ask me to teach in English because they understand English better than Spanish. But may I say, it takes a lot for me to teach in English. One because I need (not just want, but need) my companion to be able to teach effectively because he can testify of the things I explain. And then two, I literally feel like I am in my training once again because my English sentences are super basic and (not horrible but) jumbled. I guess that is what happens when you practice and teach these lessons and present the ideas in many of the same ways BUT IN SPANISH, and then try to translate my Spanish thoughts to English to teach. WEIRD. I am literally translating my SPANISH thoughts into my mother tongue of ENGLISH!!! What is happening?!?!?! Well, I guess I've got to start teaching and talking to my companion in English to remind me how...haha ;)

You asked me if I liked being in an area of greater affluence, and I LOVE being in an area that is more affluent...but it brings it's own challenges...one of which is you have got to have ALL of your bases covered because the deep probing questions come right off the bat...but it makes it interesting and keeps you on your toes :) The ward? Well, we have a couple seventies, former mission pres, the temple missionaries, and the 2nd counselor in the mission presidency...so a very pilus ward :) (honestly feels like a ward in the states)

Also, you asked about how we (2 sets of Elders) share the same area...It is different to share an area, and we don't split it we just let each other know who are our investigators and we don't visit the investigators of the other elders :) And no, the 2 sets of missionaries do not live in the same apt. but our apt is AMAZING, the stores are WAY BETTER (ie walmart and other american companies)...but i am in the CITY now :)

Highlight #3: My comp. So the update on my companion for this week. We started talking about our families, so that we could understand each other a little more. And guess what we found....He is the oldest child, has 1 sister and 2 brothers...and he and each of his siblings are 1 year younger than our family. SO yeah, that was interesting to find out :) And then we have LOTS AND LOTS of differences...so working to find each of our strengths and USE THEM :)

I am soo greatful for this gospel and being able to participate in seeing how it changes lives, every day! The Lord truly is working right along side us in this His work! I love being able to see Him at work among his brothers and sisters, each and every one of us, every day! Keep up all the great work at home and in whatever place you may be in! :) I know He lives AND loves each and every one of us. If it weren't for His love, He wouldn't have organized His missionary work....but He does love all of us, so He sends those who have found parts or all of the light to teach and bring this light into the lives of others. I pray for you all each day and hope you can feel and see and recognize the hand of the Lord guiding, protecting, and helping each of you! :)

With love and prayers,
Elder Flake

Here's some "goodbye" pictures with my friends in Nahuala:






No comments:

Post a Comment