November 02, 2015

There Ain't No Place Like "Home"

"But behold, I...will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance." --1 Nephi 1:20

Highlights for 2/11/2015:

Highlight #1: Members. So in my new area this week I have seen and talked to a member from each of my previous areas....and they remember me. It felt great that they remembered my name (or were able to quickly check my tag without me seeing...don't think so...). I loved being able to quickly talk to each of them and find out how the area, their families, and the work are doing. It actually encouraged me a lot to keep working! I found out that I never knew the impression I left with some of the individuals when I left my areas. Families are doing well and progressing to be ready to go to the temple! :)

Well, I had a "YOU'VE BEEN IN THE MISSION A WHILE" moment this week when I found out (because I saw one of the family members from my first area) that there is an additional member in their family. When I was in my last months there, she told me and my companion that she had found out that she was pregnant....well, this month the newest member of her family is 3 months old!!!! Yeah, soo....yeah. But when I found that out I was soo happy for them...and that they remember when I was there A YEAR AGO....Just wanted to share  :) Haha :)

Highlight #2: Food. Yep, the weekly food highlight....and this week I actually have one! :) Woohoo! It is a dish called Fiambre...and it is DELICIOUS!!! Look it up on google! It is amazing! To explain where it comes from, as the story goes (I don't know if it's true or not...but, hey), there was a nunery (as in catholic nuns)...a high-ranking dignitary was scheduled to visit, so the nuns wanted to make a special dish for when he came....but there was a problem, they didn't have much of anything (a little veggies, a little meat, a little of this or that)...so what did they do? They took everything they had and put it TOGETHER. Well, for the fact that it contains "EVERYTHING" it is a bit expensive to make (and needless to say makes A LOT...as in I was told that one recipe of it makes enough fiambre for the days 3 meals for 15 to 20 people). SO, due to the expense the chapins (ie Guatemaltecos/Guatemalans) found a holiday that only happens once a year and needed a special tradition. What holiday did they find? 1 de Nov, Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead....they don't celebrate Halloween here, sorry, no candy when we were contacting... ;) haha) So as yesterday was 1 of Nov and Day of the Dead, we ate fiambre for lunch and dinner. I LOVED IT! My comp...not soo much. So really, to each their own :)

Highlight #3: Area. So, who wants to know where I'm at? Well, the wait continues. NOT REALLY...Some clues: I am now in Guatemala's second largest city. I have the Temple IN MY AREA. Yep, I'm back in Xela :) And I LOVE this area! My companion is from the Dominican Republic and has less than a year in the mission. In this area there are 2 companionships (so 4 elders), to say the least it is "interesting" to share an area :))

This week was definately a week of change! Not just a change of area, but due to the change of area the need to make many adjustments. Adjusting to a new area, a new companion, new members, new investigators, new challenges, and new leaders. But all in all, I'm doing well :) I guess that it was true when others have said that I take change well (usually) :) I am soo glad for that blessing! I know that this is the work of the Lord. I am truly one of his CHOSEN servants and He has (through revelation) assigned me to THIS mission, THIS area, and THIS companion in His wisdom. I hope and pray that I may be able to accomplish what He has placed me here to accomplish. I know that He lives! I know that He loves every singe one of us individually and knows us. I know that He has gone below all so that we don't have to AND so that He is able to comfort and support us in all of our challenges and difficulties in life. I am soo greatful for a loving older Brother who would do what He did FOR ME. I testify that He LIVES and that He is at the head of His church, and that through His chosen servants He is and will reveal His secrets (Amos 3:7) and instructions for us, specifically.

With Love and Prayers,
Elder Flake

No comments:

Post a Comment