May 16, 2016

Semana de la Familia

"The purpose of the activity is to invite and to inform relatives , friends, neighbors , government institutions and opinion leaders, how programs and teachings of the gospel help preserve and care for the moral and spiritual values of families; live happily in harmony , unity, service and perpetuate family ties." --From the Church Website for Central America (explaining the Semana de la Familia, translated)

Program from Semana de la Familia



Highlights for 16/5/16:

Highlight #1: Multi-Zone Conference. The multi-zone conference this week was great! We learned about how to teach repentance, clean fruits and veggies, and prepare better plans. I learned a lot of techniques that will help me once I get home as well. I realized that I still have a lot to learn and not much time to learn and impliment it. That has been something that I have been thinking a lot about this week...that I've learned a lot in my mission, but still have much to learn and improve. Something that I have been focusing a lot on is trying to focus on the points outlined in PME about a "misionero de exito" and applying those points and seeing the success I've had :) But the time is getting real...it is getting harder and harder to focus on the work with my plane tix getting closer...but I'm working at it :)

Highlight #2: Weekly Planning, Zone-style. We had a unique experience this week...we did our weekly planning as a zone! It was a lot of work, lots of getting over pride, and lots of letting the heart felt feelings flow. But in the end it helped a lot...or at least it seemed to. Something I'm working at here is looking past the faults of others and blaming unsuccessfulness on someone else and their faults. That is something I have been thinking about this week as well...the time I spent with 3 baggie missionaries about a year ago as they each were ending their missions. What did I like? What didn't I like? What am I doing? Am I doing those same things I didn't like, or am I doing the things that I liked as their companion? It has been a very deep auto-evaluation...but hopefully it has helped my comp. He seems to be getting tired of me, but I don't know why :) But I guess that is what happens when you put two humans together, 24/7...we're working at it :)

Highlight #3: Chocolate Factory. Today for the District Activity we went to a Guatemalan chocolate factory. According to them, evidence has shown that cocoa plants originated in Guatemala. They explained that the rest of the world learned about cocoa when Columbus and Cortez came to the Americas and took the fruit back to Spain. Then from there it has gone to the whole world. Supposedly cocoa has MANY great qualities for the health of us as humans...supposedly. Also, they explained that the ancient Mayans used cocoa as their money...in their society cocoa had more value than gold. The mayas discovered these "healing" and "feel good" qualities of cocoa more or less 1,000 years before Christ (supposedly...Jaredites? ;) haha). Well, the Book of Mormon jokes just flowed with our group of missionaries...some examples: "was Nephi drinking his glass of choco milk as he wrote his book?" or "So THAT is how Moroni went 40 years alone, a glass of "feel good" hot chocolate every day..." So to say the least, we had a great time :)




"If today you are a little better than you were yesterday, than that's enough." --Elder David A Bednar

I know that this is the work of the Lord. And though I may not have much time left, I'm going to give it my all till the very end! I love this work...yeah, it's work...but it has its rewards. Some rewards are enjoyed now, others later, and other later in life or the eternities....but I have confidence that the blessings will come. Some may label me as baggie, but I know and the Lord knows the efforts I am giving every day. To be a little better, to do a little more, to have more faith, to have more patience..I love you all a lot. Hope that you are all doing well! :)

With Love and Prayers,
Elder Flake

PS Happy Birthday Ashley!!!! :) Enjoy your last days as a little kid! ;) Soon you'll be "all grown up"....haha! LOVE YA!

No comments:

Post a Comment