March 03, 2015

City life

This week has been pretty good spiritually speaking...I'll explain more in the highlights. Just to say, my spiritual batteries have been pretty charged up this week! :) But first I'll answer some of your questions about my life here in the city...

Alright, to explain contacting...Walk up to the closest wall to you, now have a conversation and begin teaching about the restoration of the gospel of Christ...this is what we do every day. Most houses have an intercom type system by their front door. So you walk up, push the button, and when they answer, talk to the little white box. This box has a camera, so they can see you from the safety of their house, but all you get is a brick wall. So I know exactly what it feels like to be talking to a brick wall ;) Haha :) Then if they want to talk to you more they will come out and open their gate/door :)

Streets are cobblestone, but unlike my last area there are A LOT of cars. Most people have one or two along with tvs, smart phones, a lot of the same stuff from the states :)

One last fun story...so today me and my comp decided to stop at McDonalds (I know, the city life!! ;) haha. We don't do it often). Well, while we were there guess who walked in...PRESIDENTE SMITH and his WIFE. Yeah, that was a realization to make, that now that I'm in the city that can happen :) Haha :) But we talked a little bit, and then finished our meal and left...Haha :) He was bringing a companionship of sisters to open an area in our zone and was treating them to lunch :)

On to the highlights!

Highlights for week ending March 2, 2015:

Highlight #1: Food. Just to get it out of the way for the week, I chose to put my food highlight first ;) One of the sisters in the ward here found out I like to cook, so she invited us to come over and cook with her. Then she asked my companion what he has wanted to try in the mission that he hasn't had a chance to try yet. He replied Ceviche...So we made shrimp ceviche :) I included a couple pictures of what ceviche is...but basically it is a salsa (american type salsa, not guate salsa) made from tomatoes, cilantro (my favorite...), limón, shrimp, and cebolla. It was super good and I loved being able to cook something substantial again ;) :)

Ceviche!!! Yummm...


Highlight #2: Temple. We had the chance to go and attend a session at the temple this week. Wow, I did not realize how much I needed it until I got there! The temple is amazing, and I learn something new every time I go. If you haven't been in a while, please consider going again soon. It truly is the house of the Lord, He is there, and He wants us to be there with Him. It is the one and only place that one can truly forget about and leave the world complete behind. The temples of the Lord are literally pieces of heaven on earth. When you walk through the front doors (or any door) you step out of this world and into the eternities. I still can't get over how beautiful the Xela temple truly is, every detail has been thought out and meticulously crafted. It is up there on my list of most beautiful temples that I have been to!

I love this beautiful temple!
Highlight #3: Baptism. I had the wonderful opportunity of attending the baptismal service of one of my investigators. It was truly amazing! The Spirit was soo strong and I had one of those experiences I will always remember. Then after his baptism, during the closing song I looked at him and for an instant saw him with another white shirt and tie, but this time with a name tag, proclaiming the gospel. It was such an amazing and encouraging experience for me personally. The Lord truly helps us along, encourages, and blesses us through small and simple means.

Baptism of this cool kid!
It's been a pretty awesome week spiritually speaking. And I'm hoping that these experiences continue in the coming week(s), month(s), and year'n'half. I know that this is the work of the Lord. I come to a deeper and deeper understanding what this really means with each passing week. I realized this week that I have the easy part...all I have to do is open my mouth and He has promised to do the rest, along with giving me words to speak (so really He is doing it all...). This gospel is truly the restored, not reformed, gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God, and our older brother. I promise that if you will seek to know His will for your in whatever stage of life you may be in, He will answer. He may not show you the destination or light the entire path, but He will give you a stepping stone, then another and another, then one day you will look back and be amazed how far you have come with Christ. I know these things because they have happened to me. Keep up all the great work and remember to make some time to just have fun :)

Love your missionary, son, brother, and friend,
Elder Flake

Scripture of the Week: Matthew 15:11
Always remember that the tongue is but a small member (James 3:5) but that the words that come out of our mouth truly do define us. So, what message are we sending the world with our words (written or spoken)? Is it the message we want to be sending?

No comments:

Post a Comment